Friday, May 19, 2017

The Last Day

Today, I took a little step back from all the technical workshops offered (although I did attend one about the State of the Web on about Firebase and one about optimizing voice activated apps). I started to feel so overwhelmed and overstimulated that my brain could not process any more stimulation.

The highlight of my morning was the Daydream and Tango demo dome. So, Daydream is a Virtual Reality platform. I was able to wear the headset, headphones and be completely submerged in 360 degrees of a virtual world. It was such a wild experience. I had tried Google Cardboard about a year ago and this was so superior to that, just incredible.

Then I ventured over to the Tango portion of the demo. This is where my wheels were turning about the implications of being able to implement this type of technology in our schools. Tango is an augmented reality that uses the Smart Device to place digital objects in view that are relative to the space around them. So the first demo, I was able to choose a character to place in a room and digital objects to have. This objects you place in the room remain in place so you can actually zoom in and out with the phone for more detail. So, here's a picture of me with Scarecrow from Wizard of Oz...
Next, I was able to go shopping online by virtually trying on clothes! In this demo, the Gap online catalog was pulled up. I was able to click on the article of clothing that I liked and enter the size I wear. The clothes would then be displayed in front of me so I can see how it looks in that size. Again, being able to walk completely around the outfit and zoom in to look at material or detail.

Next, I was shown how this same device can take a picture in which it scans and turns 3D. An entire home could be scanned and viewed with accurate dimensions. They can they be used compatibly with the Virtual Reality headset to "enter" the home.

Finally, I was able to experience Google Expeditions as a student. The first thing I said was, "maybe I wouldn't have hated science if I had this as a student."


So in about an hour I will depart Mountain View and head toward the airport to fly home with a ton more knowledge, some new friends, and a new perspective on educating students about technology. A trip that I was so nervous to attend, across the country not knowing a single person and it was the single best professional development I have ever had. The entire experience has been so positive, rewarding, encouraging, and exciting. I am so grateful to have had the experience and hope it will not be the last of this nature.

Next week, a new part of my journey begins when I get to share my new knowledge and experiences with my colleagues and my students in hopes we can continue to build our curriculum to allow our students to grow with the technology around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment