Saturday, May 13, 2017

To I/O I Go!

On Tuesday I leave for the biggest leap of faith I have taken in my career so far. I am traveling across the country ( literally from NY to CA) to embark on an adventure filled with awe, excitement, envy, and anticipation.

I am attending Googles annual developer conference. It is a 3 day outside tech festival with the most talented computer engineers on the planet.

How do I fit in?  Well, I'm approaching this from an educators point of view. I have started to dabble in coding and find my humanities based education has done me a disservice in this area. I am finding that learning to code at 37 years old, without a formal education is extremely frustrating and difficult. Alas, I persevere and whether it is my OCD or just a delusional amount of persistence I will continue.
 
I am no where near the skill level of the other attendees of Google I/O, but what I do have is passion. It is highly unlikely that I will become a master engineer in this lifetime, but I do have an advantage. I am an educator and although it's late in the game for me, attending I/O gives me insight to what is in store in the near future and what my students need to know to get there. I can then go back, to the higher functioning, humanities part of my brain and help to develop curriculum and strategies for our next generation of productive adults. This generation can then learn to be able to use their science based brains to make a difference in our changing society.

Stay tuned for details about my adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment